ATLANTA, Ga—Robin Poole (Kentucky State) was named Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (SIAC) Offensive Player of the Week, while Cassidi Sterrett (Spring Hill) earned Defensive Player of the Week, released Tuesday by the league office.
Hannah Smyers (Kentucky State) was also tabbed Setter of the Week alongside Kia Thomas (Clark Atlanta) who earned Newcomer of the Week.
Robin Poole, Outside Hitter, Kentucky State
- Poole, a Katy, Tx native, lead the Thorobreds to a clean sweep during the 2017 SIAC Crossover Tournament hosted by Miles at the Birmingham Crossplex this past weekend.
- Kentucky State finished 6-0 over Claflin, Clark Atlanta, Paine, Benedict, Fort Valley State, and Albany.
- The freshman finished the week with 62 kills averaging 10.3 kills per game.
- Against Clark Atlanta, Poole managed a season high 15 kills with a hitting percentage of .324 while also collecting ten digs, two block assists, one assist, and one service ace.
Cassidi Sterrett, Libero/Defensive Specialist, Spring Hill
- Sterrett led the Badgers to a 6-0 sweep during the 2017 SIAC Crossover Tournament this past weekend in Birmingham, Ala.
- Spring Hill defeated Benedict, Albany State, Paine, Claflin, Fort Valley, and Clark Atlanta.
- The sophomore finished the week with 88 digs averaging 14.7 digs per game.
- The Lee’s Summit, Mo. native made tournament-high 26 digs as the Badgers faced Golden Rams of Albany State and made her season high debut in points and aces as she finished with the highest of seven in each category.
Hannah Smyers, Setter, Kentucky State
- Smyers lead the Thorobreds in assists as they swept the eastern side in the 2017 SIAC Crossover Tournament in Birmingham, Ala. this past weekend.
- The sophomore from Needville, Tx. finished the week with 156 assists averaging 26 assists per game.
- Smyers finished with her highest amount of assists being 28 against Clark Atlanta, Benedict, and Albany State.
- She also added on 30 digs, 23 kills, nine blocks, and seven service aces.
Kia Thomas, Middle Blocker, Clark Atlanta
- Thomas led the Panthers to a 5-2 record this past weekend at the SIAC Crossover Tournament in Birmingham, Ala.
- The Panthers defeated Lane, LeMoyne-Owen, Miles, Central State, and Tuskegee.
- Thomas finished the weekend with 62 kills averaging 8.9 kills per game.
- The Georgia native had a tournament-high 12 kills against Miles and Central State.
- The freshman also accumulated 24 blocks, 12 digs, and nine service aces to lead the Panthers to a winning weekend.